Sunday, April 14, 2013

One is Silver and the other's Gold

                I kind of, sort of, had a breakdown last night. I was questioning whether my friends were really my friends, among many other things. It’s complicated why I was having these thoughts and the only three people that really know what was going on were myself, my Mom, and God. This isn’t your typical high school friend drama where your best friend starts to date your ex and so on and so forth. This is just me being ready to move on to the next chapter of my life, meet new people, and become friends with people I probably never knew I could have so much in common with.
               I was upset because I have three good friends that are going to different colleges next year and I probably won’t see for a longer period of time. This will be much different from walking down the hallways of Kennedy every day and saying a brief “Hi!” to them. Concerned that they would forget me and I never would be able to stay friends with them, my Mom reassured me that if they’re good friends, you’ll stay in touch and stay friends. A good friend will always be there for you and will always stay your friend. This made me feel better- I get to keep my three best friends, meet new and relatable friends in college, and forget all of those that have been rude to me in the past.
            As Vitamin C says in her song: Graduation (Friends Forever) and the song we used to sing in Girl Scouts, “One is Silver and the other’s Gold.” This one’s for you, Ayla, Aliza, and Sarah; you guys are the old, but still the best. I used to think the song by Vitamin C was cliché and everyone was being overemotional about graduation. I think it’s ok to be emotional about the best of friends, and that’s why people cry at graduation- for the best of the best.
           As for the new, I am excited to see what the future holds for me at the University of Northern Iowa, and I’m ready to meet new people and make even better friends the next four years, and even into my career. This one’s for you: to the new, that I may not know yet, but I will, soon enough.  (387)

No comments:

Post a Comment