Friday, April 19, 2013

No Need to Fret

            The ‘AusOpen’ in case you are wondering, stands for the Australian Open which is currently underway in Melbourne, Australia. This is probably my favorite tennis tournament out of the four that are televised yearly. The other three are the French Open (Roland Garros), Wimbledon, and the US Open. Although they generally do last two weeks a piece, which seems like a considerable amount of time to a non-tennis player, this is nothing compared to the constant basketball, football, and baseball games that are ALWAYS on. Currently, everyone is complaining that ‘boring tennis’ is the only thing that you can watch on ESPN2. Well here is how I look at it: maybe it will be good for you to watch a sport that is generally overlooked and underappreciated, and you might even learn something new.
            In my opinion, one of the best things about the Australian Open is that it’s televised in January, which is Iowa’s frigid winter, but Melbourne’s steamy summer. It makes me want to be there just by watching. You can kind of imagine that you are there, so it’s sort of like a paradise getaway in your living room. The Aussie Open also has hard courts, which is what I play on during lessons at Elmcrest and during the tennis season at Kennedy, and in general, what the United States uses for a court surface. Rafael Nadal, my favorite tennis player and someone I look up to, had to miss the Australian Open because he was sick with the flu the week before and wouldn’t be able to compete to the best of his ability. Although I can’t watch him or cheer him on, I am rooting for Victoria Azarenka of Belarus and Andy Murray of Great Britain. I like to think that Murray is American since that is a common last name; maybe my logic is incorrect but I suppose I can dream.
            Another great thing about watching the tournaments on TV is that I learn new things and can try them in my own playing game. It’s also fun to watch professionals use tactics that you use or have learned, and can couch them from the sidelines like they can hear you and you are their coach. Overall I can say that something about watching tennis is soothing for me. I don’t know if it’s the sound the balls make when they hit the court, or how quiet the match is, (since tennis is a relatively quiet sport, disregarding the tennis grunts and rowdy supporters). Tennis is just something I love.
            I am currently watching Ferrer play Almargo, both from Spain, in the men’s singles quarterfinal. It is quite intense, and they are pretty well-matched players. Every time I look up, the score is at deuce or is tied up. I am rooting for Ferrer since he is the underdog. The score, from the viewpoint of Ferrer, is 4-6, 4-6, 7-5, 7-6, 0-1 and has been going on for three hours and twenty minutes.
If you are thinking that this post has been very scattered, unorganized, and probably not very representative of my writing skills, please forgive me. I tried my best and I will edit this very soon!  (535)

No comments:

Post a Comment