Friday, April 5, 2013

Doing What's Best

            I have been contemplating for quite some time whether to go on a leave of absence from work… like for a really long time now. Ever since the spring trimester of my junior year of high school, I knew I had to do what’s best for me and my situation. It doesn’t matter what my coworkers think, what my managers and boss think, or even what my parents think; it should be in the best interest of me. Last year I had played Varsity tennis, and once the season was underway, I regretted not leaving work for some time. The problem with tennis, an outdoor sport, is that any source of precipitation, whether it is rain, snow aye, sleet, or hail, you cannot play tennis, maybe you could serve. The courts get super slippery on a hard court surface… it becomes the equivalent of ice. So days that I had asked off from work in advance I could suddenly work that day, but I had to rush and find someone to work for me on days I was scheduled… AKA a nightmare. I worked weeknights last spring as well, and some days I would go from school, to tennis, to running home to change and eat, and then work from 6-10pm. Then I would do my homework until who knows when. I just hated always having something to do and staying up late.
            I love where I work. It’s a great part-time job, my boss and managers are fair even though they can be strict at times, and I get great benefits as well. Who can say that they get free pop and popcorn, free movies, any time, any day? However recently, a couple people have really been getting on my nerves. They are taking the role as a manager even though they are clearly not, and then telling other workers that they are not doing their job right, even when they are. They then proceed to gain up an individual worker and making them feel bad about themselves. Now I usually stay out of this drama, but it simply is mean and childish. This girl did nothing wrong, and they suddenly hate her- wow you’re cool!!
            I think I made the best decision to take a leave of absence for two months during tennis season, and then return in the summer for kid shows, afternoon, and night shifts as well. I need to make lots of money this summer, because hey? What else do I have to do anyways? This will be my third summer at the theatre and I’m really excited because I like working there and feel confident about how I get tasks done. Tennis season could last longer, and maybe school could end early. Wouldn’t that be nice? 15 days.  (465)

No comments:

Post a Comment