Friday, April 5, 2013

Katy Perry is my girl

            As I’m sitting here pondering thoughts of what to write and listening to Katy Perry on YouTube, “Part of Me” came up on the playlist. Now for a while, well actually most of high school, I wasn’t particularly fond of Katy Perry. I thought she was your typical LA girl who was very superficial and didn’t care about what she did with her life- whether it be party, drugs, or alcohol. That was very wrong of me to judge her like that, but after watching the Katy Perry Movie in 3D, I realized she is a real human being that can easily get hurt and enjoys the simplest things in life, just like me.

            Now call me crazy, weird, and any other demeaning adjective for actually enjoying the Katy Perry movie, but honestly I just don’t care. Sure there probably was little to no plot, but it made me think about how I pre-judged her and never gave her a chance. It gives people a perspective into a generally “superficial” lifestyle. Indeed there was bias and I did realize how bad it made Russell Brand look, however when you observed her getting up every day drained, exhausted, and feeling sick, just so her crazy and over-antsy makeup artists could put on her fake eyelashes so that the audience could get the “full-effect.” It upset me because all she wanted to do was lay on the couch in her robe with a towel on her head. But there were probably 20,000 fans waiting for her to perform and they would be so disappointed in her. Once you become a global role-model, you have to be at 100%, 100% of the time. Perry claims in the documentary that she didn’t mind, and that only her family and fans were there for her now that Russell Brand dumped her.
            I have always wondered what going to a concert would be like. Many of my friends have gone to Mac Miller, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, and Justin Bieber concerts, and multiple times. Sure, you get the thrill of seeing your favorite perform live, but the show ends, you go home, the excitement lasts a week, two weeks tops, and your life goes on. You are now out $400+ including hotel, tickets, food, and transportation, whether it be by plane or car. Why not buy the CD, jam out in your bedroom, and live life with a little extra spending money on something that will last longer than entertainment?
            All in all, I am pleased that I haven’t gone to a real concert before and I think it’s important to remember that celebrities and artists are humans too, that need rest, respect, and a chance to prove who they really are on the inside as well.  (462)


No comments:

Post a Comment