Sunday, December 2, 2012

Take Care of Yourself

            After an entire month off from blogging, I have returned! I feel a bit rusty and uninspired for ideas, so bear with me here. It was nice to take a break from blogging and reading in order to prepare for finals and spend some time with my family and friends, but it’s nice to get back into routine. I make myself crazy when I have no structure or plans. It’s different when you come home from a busy day of school and just sit on the couch and watch TV, than when you spend an entire week sitting on your butt, surfing the web.
            Well, let’s just say my last week of school before Thanksgiving break was a bit rough. Most highschool-ers either A) study study study for finals, B) don’t study at all, or C) study for a little bit and then call it good. My journey to finals day were a bit different. I woke up with a stomach-ache on Monday morning and then babysat that night for a healthy boy and a sick girl. She informed me that she had a really bad sore throat and that she was going to stay home from school the next day so she could go to the doctor….. wonderful. An hour exposure to a sore throat couldn’t be so bad, right? Well I was wrong. Tuesday morning I felt decent, something didn’t seem right but I went to school anyway. At 11:15am or so I started to feel sick, tired, and a sore throat seemed to be forming. 6th hour rolled around and it hit me about 2:15pm. I couldn’t focus, think straight, I started to shiver, my throat was throbbing, and all I wanted to do was sleep. The bell rang, school was over, and I walked as fast as I could manage out of school and to my car. The only thing that was running through my mind was: drive safe, get home quickly, take medicine, sleep. Awesome. I was now infested with a much worse strain of my neighbor girl’s illness. I was concerned because not only did I feel sick, but I didn’t think I would be able to go to school on Wednesday. Wednesday was a day that teachers didn’t want you to miss, and some specifically gave an incentive to the everyday “skippers” to come to school, such as note sheets for the final exam and review sheets. I also had to make up a test after school, and that was the only time I could do it. I went to school, and felt a little better after a nights rest, but still didn’t feel the best. My voice was all messed up on Wednesday, and by Thursday morning, as fast as my virus came on, it went away just as quick. I tried my best on all of my finals and I was happy with the outcome. I learned that sometimes you have to take care of yourself before worrying about that extra review. My body needed rest and water, and that’s what I gave it. God gave me a challenge, and I learned how to handle it appropriately. I knew that I had studied and worked hard the rest of the term, so one night off wasn’t the end of the world. I felt like I was the only one that was sick on finals, but it gave me practice on something that could very well happen in college. So what should you learn from this post? That sometimes things don’t go exactly the way you planned, and you honestly have to think about what’s the best thing for you to do in a difficult situation. Everything will work out for the best.
            Although I did not meet my portfolio expectations for next term for this week of blogging, I will get back on track next week. I do not want to start bad habits again, and it’s nice to know that the start of a new term means a fresh start on homework and grades. Guess what fellow bloggers? .....Only three more weeks until Christmas break!!!  (686)

No comments:

Post a Comment