Sunday, December 23, 2012

Snow Days: Pros & Cons

            The week before winter break always seems like it drags on and for the most part, is pointless. Maybe you’ll do something productive on Monday or Tuesday, but after that, it’s all downhill. You watch movies, do busy work, eat crappy lunches because the cafeteria is trying to get rid of their food before it expires, I mean even the teachers don’t want to be there. What makes it worse for me and many others is that I have a sister who is in college and break starts a week earlier and is much longer than ours as well. My sister happens to be in Costa Rica over her winter break. AWESOME. While I get to sit in a bi-polar temperature school all day, she gets to be in warm, sunny, beautiful Costa Rica.
About every other Wednesday, we have a half-day or early out, which means that we get out at 12:17pm instead of 2:45pm. I know what you’re thinking, why in the world 12:17? That sounds more like a tee time than a dismissal time, right? Well that’s just how CR likes to do things; always keepin’ it classy. I personally think that instead of early dismissals on Wednesdays, they should have late starts on Mondays. More people would come to school and we would be well-rested after a much too short weekend.
Well, we had a half day Wednesday, but there was also an anticipated snow storm scheduled to hit Wednesday night through Thursday afternoon with 8-12 inches, high winds, and blowing snow in our area. The closer and closer we got to the end of school on Wednesday, practically everyone believed we would have no school on Thursday. Even our principal said “it would be difficult to have school tomorrow.” That pretty much means no school, she rarely agrees with students’ snow day predictions. Needless to say, it means that we better not have school tomorrow or no one will have their homework done, be prepared for quizzes and tests, and everyone will be grouchy because the superintendent made them wake up, drive in horrific weather, and come to school instead of drunk sledding. Yup, I said it- drunk sledding. I certainly don’t partake in this activity, but practically my entire twitter was covered in the following tweets: “snow day!”, “text me if you wanna go drunk sledding tomorrow” or, “drunk sledding will be in full effect tomorrow.” Urban dictionary defines it as: When a snow day comes around and you want a little spark to sledding. Best when sledding 10 minutes after gulping down 10 shots of your favorite liquor. You won’t feel a thing. This really has nothing to do with the pros and cons to a snow day, but I was shocked at this new “phenomenon.”
I was hoping for a snow day too, but mostly because I wanted to catch up on sleep, and do homework so I wouldn’t have to do it over break. I also cleaned my room and worked on some college things, so it was a productive day. We will have to make it up, which is a bummer, but I would rather have a day off right before break so you get things done and it definitely made the week go by faster. Plus, I didn’t want to drive in a blizzard.
By Friday morning, it had stopped snowing and blowing snow, but it was extremely cold and the roads were still iffy. I wanted a normal day because I knew that the teachers would make us do the work we were supposed to do on Thursday and Friday, but in one day. If we had a two-hour delay, then the classes would be even shorter. We did indeed have a two-hour delay, and it was nice to sleep in, but the rest of the day was hectic, stressful, and there just simply wasn’t enough time! Some of the things my teacher had us do were very time consuming, and I had to stay after school to finish. That was a major downfall to the blizzard and snow day, but it wasn’t terrible and I survived.  (690)

No comments:

Post a Comment