Sunday, December 16, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

            Maybe it is a bit early to think about New Year’s resolutions. Some people have already started on their resolutions, others are wrapping them up since it’s the end of the year, some start them and don’t succeed, and then there are those who don’t really care/participate in this custom. Since there are about two weeks until the first of January, and only nine days until Christmas, I figured I would get the first “My New Year’s Resolutions” post under way.
            When I was a child, I always heard about adults giving up something and setting new goals. I never really knew what they were talking about, or how it related to holidays or events. Of course I know now that giving up something is for Lent, and has a religious connection and meaning. In most Catholic churches, you are expected or required to give something up, just like Jesus did for us when he died on the cross to forgive our sins.
            I guess you could say that giving up something for Lent is just like making a New Year’s resolution. You intentionally choose to make a difference in your life, but it’s not necessarily giving something up and Lent is only for a short amount of time. New Year’s resolutions often don’t last either; however some do and then last a lifetime.
            Last year, my New Year’s resolution was to give up pop. I had never given anything up like that before because my church doesn’t enforce the season of Lent. It was also very informal and I figured it wouldn’t work. It just coincidentally happened that I made a decision around New Year’s.
My reason to give up pop was because we get it for free at work and it’s very tempting to drink it. There are a lot of choices and you get to bring your own cup to drink out of. My resolution worked for about a month, but it really didn’t make me feel any greater or better about myself. Originally, I thought it would be better for my stress, teeth, and body in general, but then as I got further into the year I thought to myself, “Is it really worth it?”
            I came to the conclusion that for me personally, it was never a really big issue or concern to begin with. Instead of giving it up entirely and being depressed that I could never drink my favorite soda again, I decided that I would treat myself to it now and then. To this day I am happy with my decision and feel like it was worth a try, but wasn’t necessary.
            I am not sure why New Year’s resolutions are such a big deal. Can’t you make goals and changes throughout the year as well? With a new year, comes a fresh start; however I feel like your morale will be much better if you take care of yourself the entire year. In my opinion, New Year’s resolutions seem silly and don’t work for the most part.  (507)

No comments:

Post a Comment