Sunday, September 23, 2012

Shakira

            Everyone has an artist they look up to. One of my favorite artists is Shakira (Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll). She is a Colombian singer-songwriter, dancer, choreographer, record producer, and model. She is a native Spanish speaker, speaks fluent English and Portuguese, and also knows Italian, Catalan, and Arabic. If you are not an avid fan yet, I would definitely recommend her music because it’s very versatile and her songs encompass many different genres. In an interview with Rolling Stone, Shakira says, "My music, I think, is a fusion of many different elements. And I'm always experimenting. So I try not to limit myself, or put myself in a category, or... be the architect of my own jail".
            Not only do I love her music, but she is inspirational to many people because of her individualism and strong persona. She is also very confident, which is noticeable in her singing voice and music videos. You can recognize her twist on belly-dancing in many of her music videos as well. She has produced twelve impressive albums, made guest appearances on TV shows, and it was recently announced that she will be a judge on the fourth season of The Voice, replacing Christina Aguilera (LA Times). Also, Shakira is expecting her first child with Gerard Piqué, a Spanish soccer player and her boyfriend (The Washington Post).  (228)


















(photo courtesy of simplyfabulouss.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment