Sunday, September 2, 2012

Applying for College: September 1, 2012

            College seems unreal right now as a senior in high school. Not only do we have to finish classes that are just beginning, prom will soon arrive before we know it, tennis season will come, and then graduation on May 24th. Although we’re still in high school and most of us are still under eighteen, and not “adults” yet, we are starting to make life choices and growing up.
College visits: This past spring, I visited two different colleges. I really liked the first one I visited because everything just felt right when I was there. I liked the second one as well, but it was so big that it was overwhelming. I felt like I was another fish in the sea and none of my professors would know who I am. Step one complete.
Taking the ACT: I took the ACT in June…. this would be the “scary” test everyone worries about. I learned that it’s not something to worry about because it’s like any other standardized test taken in high school. The good thing about it is that you can retake it as many times as you want, and you’ll most likely improve every time! Don’t worry about it; I think students in the future will find that you do better than anticipated. Step two complete.
Applying: Last night I applied and submitted my first application online. It was so exciting and I wanted to know the answer right away! Unfortunately that was a little unrealistic, and I will have to wait and be patient since its Labor Day weekend and it was a Saturday night. Although the application was pretty straight forward, I am proud of myself for completing this step towards college. I think this is one of the biggest steps there is to take, because either you’re admitted or you’re not. Step three complete.
Applying for housing, meal plans, scholarships, financial aid, finding a roommate, registering for classes, going to the incoming freshman visit, and finding an on-campus job are all to come at some point, but I feel like I am making progress in the right direction, and it will all work out one step at a time.
I have always been interested in elementary education, but wasn’t sure if it was exactly right for me. I really like working with kids and school, so I thought what could be better? My mom recommended that I ask the school counselor about a job shadow opportunity, and until this summer I was highly considering it. Instead, I went on a mission trip this past summer to Omaha with my youth group. We went to a lot of different non-profit organizations and some that stuck out to me were: The Hope Center, Douglas County Youth Detention Center (DCYC), and Victory Boxing Club. Basically they were all places kids could go to do their homework, have fun, and to get them off the street and out of gangs. After listening to the leaders and statistics of these centers, I realized that I want to teach kids so I can make a positive impact in their life, and help them learn new things. If a child has an education and is passionate about succeeding in school, it is less likely they will follow their other family members in the wrong direction. Through the mission trip, I found that I am confident I want to major in Elementary Education and even up to eighth grade if it’s possible to get certified that way. My major could very well change, but for now that’s what I’m starting with.
I am looking forward to my senior year, college, and seeing where my life leads me.  (615)

No comments:

Post a Comment