Sunday, September 9, 2012

I'm a Panther!

                Ahhhh! I am so excited! On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 I received an email from the University of Northern Iowa in regards to my application. In the subject line it said: “You’re a Panther!” I was beyond happy…. I called my mom at work and told her the news, when my dad got home, I told him, and my grandparents came on Friday night; they were all so proud of me! It wasn’t like we doubted I would get in, but just knowing I have the decision and acceptance made is relieving. That same week, on Friday, September 7, 2012 I received a letter in the mail. It was the “official acceptance letter” from the office of admissions along with a nice congratulation. This is what everyone considers the piece of paper you frame for your graduation party.
Now that I am officially a Panther, I want to apply for housing, find a roommate, figure out who else is going to UNI, buy new apparel, go on another visit, register, find classes, etc. Although it is a year away, I am ready to think about college.
            I think I mentioned in a previous post about my major interest. If you didn’t read it, I want to major in Elementary Education (see below for reason). When I visited UNI on Panther Peek day, I talked to some professors from the College of Education. At the time, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to major in Chemistry or Elementary education. I basically wanted to know their advice on where they think I should start. They told me that both fields are in demand, but if I had any interest in Elementary education, I should start there, because they have specific courses you need to take, and if you start  later in the program you would be behind. My whole experience on the visit just felt right, and I knew this was where I wanted to go to school. Especially after the conversations with the professors, I knew if teachers were that helpful one-on-one, I would be successful in the classroom as well.  (351)

No comments:

Post a Comment