Sunday, September 23, 2012

Random Acts of Kindness

            My part-time job involves working with the public. This means that you get to work with a lot of different people from many different walks of life. It seems like the people that make a lasting impact are generally jerks or very hard to please. However on Friday night, two people were the opposite of mean, and were incredibly kind with their random acts of kindness.
            While I was working in the concession stand, I was helping a customer with his order and a little boy, maybe ten years old, poked him on the back and said, “I just wanted to tell you I really liked your shirt!” The man I was helping smiled and said, “Well thank you, how kind of you!” After his order was complete, the little boy said to him, “I hope you have a great night sir!” This same boy walked up to my counter with the cutest outfit on and a big smile on his face. The only thing I was thinking was, “this kid is something else!” He ordered, asking for a medium popcorn and a medium drink. I got him his concessions, and asked him if he wanted anything else. He said “Nope, I think that’s it!” I told him his total, which was, $6.50, and he gave me a ten-dollar bill. As I was getting his change he said, “Oh, you can keep that!” I asked him, “Are you sure? It’s $3.50.” He said, “Oh yeah, don’t worry about it, I got $5.00 right here, see? I want you to have it; you deserve it more than me!” The best part of this wasn’t because he gave me $3.50, but just because he cared about others and was so nice at such a young age.
            A little bit later, a man probably in his late fifties came up to my counter. He ordered a large popcorn and a large drink. When I asked him what he wanted for his drink, he asked if we had something like fruit punch. I said yes, and then he said, “Sorry for coming back up here so suddenly, this time it’s not for me though.” “We were sitting in there and there was a family in front of us, and the kids really wanted popcorn. Their parents told them no because they couldn’t afford it. When I was little my dad would do everything so we could have those kinds of treats, even if it meant taking the train (illegally of course). I just feel like every kid should have that chance too.” As I spoke with him more, I was impressed by his generosity and overall care for others around him. I told him how nice it was of him to do that for that family. He said, “They’re good kids.” I thought that what he did was very simple, but completely admirable.
            Whenever I have a bad day at work or when I have to deal with unpleasant customers, I think about those two individuals, and it brings joy to me because I know that there are great people in this world.  (520)

No comments:

Post a Comment