Sunday, October 7, 2012

Taking Over the Senior Bench

            The senior bench at Kennedy High School has been a privilege for seniors for quite some time now. It is to everyone’s knowledge that the senior bench is for seniors only, don’t even think about sitting on it if you're not one.
            When I was a freshman and sophomore, even my junior year, I was afraid to sit on the bench. I remember freshman year I was helping at a bead fundraiser Mrs. Kollasch put on, and the tables were set up in front of the senior bench in the foyer. We had been standing for about an hour and a half, and when we were counting money, I accidentally sat down on the bench so I could focus more. No more than five seconds passed, and I shot up because I was afraid someone was going to yell at me and because I was embarrassed. I think I brought more attention to myself standing up so quickly than when I actually committed the awful crime of sitting on the coveted senior bench.
            All throughout high school, you look forward to your senior year and all of the privileges you gain. Sitting in the front rows for sporting events (especially football games), the senior bench for when you’re feeling lazy, and release times whenever you want. Plus the fact that everyone respects you ten times more, whether you deserve it or not. It’s not that your freshman, sophomore, and junior years are pointless, but it truly is an incentive to power and accomplish so much during your high school career.
            About twice a day, I walk through the foyer and see JUNIORS sitting on the SENIOR bench. Not even the same one every day, they’re random every time. What makes you so special over everyone else to sit on the bench? I think I have only sat on it twice this year; once on the first day of school, and another time when I was waiting to register for parking. I do understand that some people (ex: parents, younger siblings) don’t realize the significance of the bench, and sit there thinking it’s an open seating area. However, just because the rest of the school thinks the class of 2013 is completely lame, shows no school spirit and no leadership, some students of the “minority” you generally do not hear about are actually normal and have been waiting for their senior privileges.
            Show some respect and wait another year, two, or even three. Your time will eventually come, until you can finally partake in senior activities that everyone always tells you to look forward to.  (435)

No comments:

Post a Comment