Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Practice makes Permanent; I hope.

            My Wednesday was hectic, frustrating, and rushed. I am not confident however that this diction does these incidents justice.
I woke up this morning at 6:45am, which is normal for me. Somehow as I was getting ready, time got away from away from me. I looked at my cell phone and realized it was 7:48am. 12 minutes before school starts. Where I have to be in AP Chemistry, ready to learn, and most importantly be alert. Luckily, I have knowledge of the stoplight from about 7:40-7:50am. I am aware of the time they’ll change, what time I need to be in the parking lot, and what time I need to be walking in the doors to get to class on time. My life would be done for if those “little people controlling stoplights” decided to change how long the lights would run to control traffic.
Running late for school probably isn’t such a great habit, but at least I have a backup plan when low on time. Today I was thrown off a bit when a little red Mazda decided to drive extremely slow on Townhouse. Good thing I have a north lot pass (means a guaranteed parking spot every day)! By the time I got out of my car and was walking in I felt frazzled and probably looked like a hot mess. Everyone involved in The Torch, including my AP Language and Composition teacher, Mizzay, was waiting for a bus to travel to Iowa City. I was happy to see her, but hopefully she doesn’t think I’m always like this.
4thhour means AP Spanish. Using a recording program called Audacity, we practice speaking for the speaking portion of the AP Exam. Audrey and I were partners, and our first computer wouldn’t let us log on, and when we tried the second computer, it wouldn’t turn on. By the time everyone had done their recording, and probably had numerous chances to retry it, we hadn’t even started with five minutes remaining in the class period. Senora said we could use her computer and record our conversation once another group was done. Despite our technology frustration, we actually had a decent conversation. We were in the last part of our conversation when Audrey looked up and realized it had not recorded any of what we just said. Two and a half minutes of Spanish completely down the drain, wonderful. We attempted it again, and it recorded, but when we were done and saving it, it just closed and said system not responding. At this point, I was beyond frustrated. We had recorded at two times, and I was hoping I could still remember everything I wanted to say for the next recording. The third time was a charm (excuse my triteness) as far as technology cooperating. We tried our best and that’s all we could do. Hopefully our practice trials helped make permanent memory of the desired content. However if mistakes were made, I’m ok with it because I know I can’t be perfect. Sometimes things don’t go as planned and you have to go with the flow.
Take my advice: give yourself some extra time, be patient, and keep calm my friends.  (534)

No comments:

Post a Comment