Sunday, October 7, 2012

Donating Blood

            Donating blood saves lives and is a very worthy cause. About a year or so ago, I donated blood at my church for the very first time. I was kind of nervous and tried to do everything that the packet said would produce the best results. Despite my obedience and with my luck, the day of donation I woke up with a migraine. I took some Excedrin and by the time I donated in the afternoon, it was lingering here and there. For the most part it was gone, and I told myself that despite my discomfort I couldn't back out now.
            All of the nurses were so nice and concerned about me and how I was feeling throughout the entire blood donation process. I wish I could get the same nurse to draw blood the next time I donate! It also helped that I knew the people around me who were donating as well. That is one of the main reasons why I like donating at my church and not some random location the Red Cross asks me to donate at. Everything turned out well, the nurses told me I did an excellent job, and thankfully I had no “complications.” To get my blood sugar up and to prevent fainting, I drank cranberry juice, ate fruit snacks and some chocolate cookies. It felt like I was living the dream life of a child!
             Ever since I donated, it seems like The American Red Cross calls me every other week. They always tell me that my blood type is on a two-day supply. It always makes me feel bad, but I tell them that I will think about it and wait until they come to my church. The volunteers or employees who call are doing their job and a good thing, but I think that it is important that you personally feel comfortable, so that the donation process goes smoother on both ends.
            My church is holding a blood drive on Monday, October 22nd. I haven’t signed up yet or told anyone I was going to donate for sure, but the idea of it is still floating in the back of my mind. I will follow up on my decision in a future post.
            If you have always wanted to save lives and do something for a good cause, try donating blood. It doesn’t hurt- the nurses do know what they are doing. If it doesn’t go well, then at least you know for the future and you can at least say you tried. Some people have hard veins to find, so it can be a little more difficult, but more often than not, your experience will go better than anticipated. It really doesn't help at all if you worry about it. Just relax and take a deep breath.  (470)

No comments:

Post a Comment