Sunday, January 27, 2013

Correct Prediction

            Unfortunately, the Australian Open ended this morning. L I watched the championship match between Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray before I ventured out in the ice storm for work, and it was a sentimental time to say the least. It was the final match on the final day of the Australian Open, which means that I don’t have any tennis to watch until the next tournament…. I know, #firstworldprobs. I was sad to hear when I came home that Murray had lost to Djokovic for the Aussie Open title. I don’t know if any of you know of my disapproval of Djokovic, but that’s a totally different rant for some other day. I’m just glad that Nadal wasn’t able to play due to his illness; otherwise I would have been really mad if Djokovic had won.
            Although my prediction (Murray winning it all) for the men’s singles tournament was incorrect, my prediction for the women’s singles tournament was correct. Victoria Azarenka, “Vika” defeated Li Na (China) late Friday night/early Saturday morning central time and seventeen hours later in Melbourne, Australia. I was really happy for her since she is my favorite player, besides Serena and Venus Williams, but you got to love them since they represent a powerful, American woman. However, since Sloane Stephens beat Serena Williams in the quarterfinal, I was pro-Vika! There was some controversy when Vika played Sloane in the semi-final to go to the championship. Vika supposedly faked an injury so she could get more rest time and psych Sloane out. You can follow the rest of the incident in the following article, but basically she misspoke and said that the nerves got to her and she just needed to calm down, but it was really because she couldn’t breathe. I feel like there is no harm done here because Stephens said that she didn’t mind and in my opinion, it was a simple misunderstanding.
            In the following article, you will read about the incident concerning Vika’s trophy and how the wrong country was etched on it (BEL v. BLR) or Belgium v. Belarus. I’m sure they will get on that pronto…. Kind of a lighthearted way to end the tournament I suppose, but again, just a mistake.  (373)

No comments:

Post a Comment